Friday, February 28, 2014

Deep Words from an Old Gentleman

Earlier today, I had a conversation with this older gentleman..want to say he is probably in 80's or so. 

He is on vacation with his daughter and family, and was glad to get out of the house...he said at the end and beginning of the month his daughter always starts 'nagging' about money and bills ('nagging' is his terminology..personally I know women do not nag). 

I said that is usually how everyone is, because pay day and bills are usually due around that time.  

He huffed and said, I have tried to tell her time and time again...

"Life is not about bills and money. Life is about living...
and if you are always worried about bills and money, you will never live." 

WOW! Deep words!

We went on to talk about how he had not always thought like that...and he has had his share of ups and downs with finances. He had been married twice, the first ending due to bills and money, and his second wife passing away a few years ago.  

Then he uttered the age old saying...

"If i would have known then what I know now.."

To sum up, this gentleman really got me to thinking... 

What truly is important in our life at the end of the day?

What knowledge are we disregarding from our elders...that could truly benefit us?

...to name a few questions that come to mind. I swear, the older i get, the wiser our elders seem to be...and the more respect I have for them.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment